Upsilon Omega Omega 2018 scholarship cycle is closed. Please check back next year for the 2019 application.
If you have additional questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
This year we will award three scholarships:
UOO Ivy Scholarship – $1000
UOO Pearl Scholarship – $500
Think HBCU Scholarship – $500
- Applicant must be a high school senior planning to enter a four‐year college/university in the fall of 2018.
- Applicant must be attending a public high school in Lexington County, Richland/Lexington School District Five or Upsilon Omega Omega Chapter ASCEND℠ students.
- Applicant must have a cumulative high school grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale. The three categories of the scholarship awards are as follows:
- Ivy Scholarship ‐$1000.00 (GPA of 3.5 and above)
- Pearl Scholarship – $500 (GPA of 3.0-3.9)
- Think HBCU Scholarship ‐$500.00 (GPA of 3.5 and above)
- Applicant must submit a completed application form with a photograph and an official (sealed) transcript with SAT or ACT results.
- Applicant must submit two letters of recommendation. One letter should be from a guidance counselor/director or one of your present/former high school teachers. The other letter should be from a person in the community (i.e. your pastor, Sunday school teacher, former/present employer or mentor). NOTE: All recommendation letters must be included in your scholarship application package and must be dated no earlier than January 1, 2018. All recommendation letters must be applicable to Upsilon Omega Omega Scholarship.
- Applicant must submit a double spaced essay, using Times New Romans in a 12 point font on the following topic:
- “Considering that our society is not equal for all persons because of different advantages extended to some and not others (such as public assistance, school choice, gun control, etc. ), discuss three things you would put in place if you had the power to ensure equality and fairness for everyone.”
- (Note: No more than two pages will be acceptable. Applicant will be disqualified if essay is longer than two typed double spaced 8.5 X 11 pages).
- Applicant should possess qualities of leadership, scholarship, character, dependability and service.
- The financial need of the applicant will be considered.
- The applicant’s school Guidance Counselor/Director must sign the application. (Applications submitted without this signature will be considered incomplete and will be ineligible for consideration.)
- All requested items must be included in order for the applicant’s scholarship packet to be considered complete. This scholarship application must be postmarked on or before, April 30, 2018. Applications that are incomplete, hand delivered or postmarked after April 30, 2018 will not be eligible for consideration. A checklist is included for your convenience.
Think HBCU Scholarship
- Applicants who have met the aforementioned requirements for the High School Scholarship are eligible to apply for the Think HBCU scholarship award in the amount of $500.00. The recipient of this award must be a high school senior, who has a 3.5 GPA or above. The applicant must be attending a Historically Black College or University, HBCU.
- Applicants must submit a double spaced essay, using Times New Romans in a 12 point font on the following topic:
- “Why did you choose to attend a Historically Black College or University (HBCU) over another type of institution? What makes an HBCU relevant to you?”
- Students may apply and are eligible for both the Upsilon Omega Omega scholarship and the Think HBCU scholarship. If selected for a scholarship award, applicants will be limited to receiving one scholarship
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated
Upsilon Omega Omega Chapter
Post Office Box 2012
Irmo, South Carolina 29063