Upsilon Omega Omega 2017 scholarship application is now closed. Applications were to be submitted and post-marked by April 15, 2017. Please check back next year for the 2018 scholarship opportunities. If you have additional questions contact email@example.com.
This year we will award three scholarships:
- Ivy Scholarship – $1500
- Pearl Scholarship – $1000
- Think HBCU Scholarshop – $500
- Applicant must be a high school senior planning to enter a four‐year college/university in the fall of 2016.
- Applicant must be attending a public high school in Lexington County, Richland/Lexington School District Five or Upsilon Omega Omega Chapter ASCEND℠ students.
- Applicant must have a cumulative high school grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale. The three categories of the scholarship awards are as follows:
- Ivy Scholarship ‐$1500.00 (GPA of 3.5 and above)
- Pearl Scholarship ‐$1000.00 (GPA of 3.0 ‐49)
- Think HBCU Scholarship ‐$500.00 (GPA of 3.5 and above)
- Applicant must submit a completed application form with a photograph and an official (sealed) transcript with SAT or ACT results.
- Applicant must submit two letters of recommendation. One letter should be from a guidance counselor/director or one of your present/former high school teachers. The other letter should be from a person in the community (i.e. your pastor, Sunday school teacher, former/present employer or mentor). NOTE: All recommendation letters must be included in your scholarship application package and must be dated no earlier than January 1, 2017. All recommendation letters must be applicable to Upsilon Omega Omega Scholarship.
- Applicant must submit a double spaced essay, using Times New Romans in a 12 point font on the following topic:
- President Obama said, “Change will not come if we wait for some other person, some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. ” With that in mind, describe an issue or situation that you would like to see changed. What have you done or plan to do in the future to help influence this change? ”
- (Note: No more than two pages will be acceptable. Applicant will be disqualified if essay is longer than two typed double spaced 8.5 X 11 pages).
- Applicant should possess qualities of leadership, scholarship, character, dependability and service.
- The financial need of the applicant will be considered.
- The applicant’s school Guidance Counselor/Director must sign the application. (Applications submitted without this signature will be considered incomplete and will be ineligible for consideration.)
- All requested items must be included in order for the applicant’s scholarship packet to be considered complete. This scholarship application must be postmarked on or before, April 15, 2017. Applications that are incomplete, hand delivered or postmarked after April 15, 2017 will not be eligible for consideration. A checklist is included for your convenience.
Think HBCU Scholarship
- Applicants who have met the aforementioned requirements for the High School Scholarship are eligible to apply for the Think HBCU scholarship award in the amount of $500.00. The recipient of this award must be a high school senior, who has a 3.5 GPA or above. The applicant must be attending a Historically Black College or University, HBCU.
- Applicants must submit a double spaced essay, using Times New Romans in a 12 point font on the following topic:
- “Why did you choose to attend a Historically Black College or University (HBCU) over another type of institution? What makes an HBCU relevant to you?”
- Students may apply and are eligible for both the Upsilon Omega Omega scholarship and the Think HBCU scholarship. If selected for a scholarship award, applicants will be limited to receiving one scholarship
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated
Upsilon Omega Omega Chapter
Post Office Box 2012
Irmo, South Carolina 29063