Political Short Film Showcase
Theme: This Is America
The Political Short Film Showcase is sponsored by Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Upsilon Omega Omega Chapter.
Purpose: The purpose of the short film showcase is to provide an artistic avenue for young people to express through film their perspective on the theme as it relates to African-Americans.
Rules and Guidelines
- To submit your film for consideration in the Political Short Film Showcase, please read the submission guidelines, sign and return the entry registration form.
- All films adhering to the guidelines are eligible for consideration in the Political Short Film Showcase.
- The top three films in each category will be shown in the Political Short Film Showcase.
- The top film in each category will receive a prize.
- If film submission contains profanity or graphic images, a disclaimer must be included at the beginning of the film. Usage of profanity or graphic images must be within the context of the subject matter.
Number of Entries:
A student or team of two students in each division can enter one film.
Film Types Accepted:
- Narrative – Any film that tells a fictional story.
- Documentary –- Make a film about a real-life person, event, your community or culture, personal experience, or even yourself.
Short Film Topics/Categories:
|Violence Prevention||High School|
|Criminal Justice Reform||College Students|
Short Film Contest Rules and Guidelines
- Each entry must be the original work of the student/team making the submission. The work must be the sole creative work of the student(s)- adult supervision is welcome.
- Use of copyrighted material is prohibited, unless the owner grants permission.
- Plagiarized entries will be disqualified. Plagiarism is defined as taking and using another person’s ideas, writings, or inventions as one’s own.
- The student(s) must do all the work.
- Entries will be judged on how well the student uses his or her artistic vision to portray the topic.
- Films must be completed and submitted by the deadline date-August 17, 2019. Be sure to turn in your application and film on time.
- Films must be directed, written, and recorded only by students.
- Films must be between 7 – 10 minutes in length.
- Please format films as .mov, QuickTime files, or .mp4.
- If you also upload it to a Cloud Storage, Vimeo or YouTube – include the link on your entry form. Otherwise, films must be submitted on USB or DVD:
- Please place a label on your DVD with the following information:
- Your Name
- Your Film’s Title
- Running time
- If entry is submitted on USB drive, place the above information in a folder with the title “Film Information.”
- If submitting via USB or DVD, please place in a sealed envelope and postmarked by the deadline date to:
Upsilon Omega Omega
“UOO Political Film Showcase”
P.O. Box 2012
Irmo, SC 29063
Use of Other Copyrighted Material:
Films may include public places, well-known products, trademarks, or certain other copyrighted material as long as that copyrighted material is incidental to the subject matter. Any background music used in a film entry must be credited and documented in the credits on the film and on the Student Entry Form, by indicating the title of the music, its composer and its performer(s) in the credits.